Monday, October 29, 2007
Of Exchanges and Paradigm Shifts
In Theology class, I learned that freedom isn’t about keeping several options open, but it’s about choosing one of those options and sticking to it. In Fullmetal Alchemist, I learned of Equivalent Exchange, that in order to gain something, something of equal value must be lost. In My Name is Earl, I learned a simple interpretation of Karma, do good things, good things will happen to you; do bad things, bad things will happen to you.

For years I have been living life with principles based on the statements above. I have gotten into arguments with several of my closest friends because of it. I’ve made choices in my life based on said principles and it’s been working out pretty well for me... at least until around three months ago.

Funny thing about life is that everything changes. You may be adamant about one thing now, but something in the future can and will change your mind. I find myself eating the very words I use to preach to my friends. How it got this way totally caught me off-guard. I found myself at a crossroad. Do I stick to my guns and walk my talk? Or do I swallow a giant amount of pride and enter a massive paradigm shift? I think most of you already know which path I took.

The only thing keeping me from totally feeling like shit for giving up my principles is this quote from Natalie Portman: “I don't know why, exactly. Sometimes you make rules for yourself and sometimes those rules are made to be broken. You have to test things out and see what works for you, and this felt right.” And this feels right to me... for now.

Although it should be noted that Ms. Portman did live to regret those words. A few days or weeks from now, I may be regretting this too. But for now, I don’t care. I’ve made some idiotic decisions before. Many of them I’ve come to regret, I won’t lie to myself. But what can I do about it? It’s done. It’s equivalent exchange. I’ve already made my choice, now I have to deal with the consequences. I won’t complain about it. I won’t blame anybody else for it, not God or anyone else. It’s all me.

[End note: After writing this post, I chanced upon an article written by Natalie Portman here. Thought it might be relevant]

Labels:

1 Comments:

(October 29, 2007 9:37 PM)
nyahahahaha! SUGOD!

Post a Comment | | Home

Name: Jin
Occupation:
Graphic Artist/Pirate
Geek Toys:
20" iMac Core Duo, PSP, iPod (3G), EOS350D
Special Attack(s):
La Serpiente Strike
El Gato Fist

Being the mindless drone of fashion that I am, I decided to jump on the Blogging bandwagon. This site contains all my rants and raves about current events, technology, video gaming, cinema and the occasional snippets of my own geek life. (Yeah, quite original, I know.)

Best viewed at 1024x768 on Firefox or Safari. Internet Explorer 6 sucks donkey dick.








© 2006. All rights reserved.
Illustrations and Character Designs: Jin.

The Sims. © 2006. Electronic Arts, Inc.